Is Van Insurance Different To Car Insurance?

Compare van insurance quotes

Quotes from a panel of van insurance brokers
Specialist advice & tailored quotes
Save time and money on your van insurance

Home » Van Insurance » Is Van Insurance Different To Car Insurance?

If you drive a van, then your insurance quotes will differ from that of any car insurance policy. Whether you use a van privately or for social driving, you are a sole trader or use a van as part of a business, you will need van insurance. To find great prices, it is wise to use a van insurance comparison site.

Van insurance is there to protect you financially if the vehicle is ever broken into – which there is an increased chance of among van drivers, as they are often targeted for expensive worker’s tools and equipment – vandalised or damaged. Your insurance can also cover the cost if you cause injury to another person or damage their property.

Types of Van Cover

Most insurers will cover a range of van types, including: light vans, Box Luton vans, pick-ups, double or single cab vans and tippers. A lot of insurers will cover vans up to 3.5 tonnes, with some even covering up to 7.5 tonne vehicles, so it’s important to shop around in order to find cheap van insurance.

Why Do I Need Van Insurance?

Put simply, without van insurance you cannot legally drive your van on the road. If you do, you could face a court prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000. If you own a van but do not drive it, it must still be insured or declared off the road with a Statutory Off-Road Notice (SORN).

If you are ever unsure whether your vehicle requires car or van insurance, check your V5C vehicle log book. If the category for the vehicle is listed as M1, then you will need car insurance; for N1 and N2 categories you will need to use van insurance.

What Are The Levels Of Van Cover?

Van cover falls into three main categories:

  1. Fully Comprehensive: This is complete coverage for you, your van, your passengers and property, as well as any damage or injury to third parties involved in an accident. It also protects from any theft or damage that may occur to your vehicle.
  2. Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPF&T): This payment won’t pay out to cover any damage to your vehicle, but will cover the costs of any damage to a third party that you are responsible for. It will cover your van for any theft and damage caused by fire.
  3. Third Party Only (TPO): This is the minimum legal requirement for motorists in the UK and covers your liability for injury to others and any damage to third party property only.

With different insurers all offering different quotes, it is important to compare van insurance quotes to make sure you are getting a great deal.

Is Van Insurance Different To Car Insurance?