How to find scrap metal dealer insurance
Working in the scrap industry carries many risks, including driving company cars, customer vehicles and operating heavy machinery. As a result, having the correct cover in place can prove essential should any accidents happen. Depending on your specific circumstances, some insurance covers may also be a legal requirement.
We understand that finding the right cover for your scrap dealership is essential, as is the need to right it at the right price.
We work with a panel of motor trade insurance providers who can offer expert, specialist advice and provide competitively priced insurance quotes for scrap dealers to make this process as quick and easy as possible. When you submit your details via the quote form, you can compare quotes from up to 5 insurance providers and choose the most suitable policy.
What cover do I need for my scrap yard?
As with all motor trade insurance policies, no single business is the same, and a tailored policy is therefore critical to ensure you are purchasing the right cover. A scrap dealer insurance policy may include some of the following covers:
- Road risk cover: although many of the vehicles you take in for scrap will be un-drivable, there may be times when you drive a customer’s vehicle back to the scrap yard for recovery. In this situation, you will need to have road risk insurance. At the same time, a road risk policy can also cover all or some of your employees to drive company cars, tow trucks and other vehicles, provided they are driven for business purposes.
- Employer’s liability: it is a legal requirement for most businesses with employees to have employer’s liability insurance. It protects employees and employers from incidents, including accidents at work. The minimum level of cover required is typically £5,000,000.
- Business premises cover: can protect your scrap yard and buildings from various risks, including fire and flood damage.
- Equipment cover: scrap yards will have expensive machinery and equipment to carry out their business, which you can insure.
Cutting the cost of scrap dealer insurance
Working in a scrap yard is on the riskier end of the spectrum of businesses and policy prices will reflect this. However, you can still find cheap insurance for your breakers yard by following these tips:
- Do not over insure: it sounds obvious, but purchasing more cover for your scrap business than is necessary is an easy mistake to make. To avoid this, talk through each policy aspect with the insurance provider.
- Build up your no claims bonus: If you’re arranging motor trade insurance for the first time, this tip won’t help immediately, but it is worth bearing in mind if you ever need to make a claim. A no claims bonus on your scrap yard insurance policy will help reduce costs.
- Experienced operators and drivers: having experienced named drivers on your policy who are also conviction and accident-free will help reduce costs. At the same time, avoid adding drivers under the age of 25 to your motor trade policy as they tend to increase claim rates and therefore cost more to insure.
- Annual renewal: if possible, pay for your scrap dealer cover in one yearly payment as opposed to spreading the cost over 12 months and therefore incurring interest charges for borrowing. Finally, make use of a:
Scrap dealer insurance comparison service
Taking the time to compare quotes each year means you could take advantage of new customer insurance prices. Auto-renewing year on year is the easier option, but you are unlikely to be given the best price available if you stay put.
Scrap dealer insurance FAQs
Most questions are best answered by one of the insurance providers from our panel, so recommend submitting the quote form and discussing your requirements with a specialist. We have also included some typical questions below.
Can a policy be paid for in monthly instalments?
Yes. Although monthly payments are more expensive than paying annually due to interest charges, it is possible to pay in monthly instalments.
What trading experience is required?
The majority of insurance providers will only be able to provide a quote for scrap businesses with experience. However, other providers are able to quote for start up motor trade businesses.
How much does scrap dealer insurance cost?
Insurance premiums are calculated based on a multitude of factors including age, experience, number of employees, location, covers required and more. The best way to get an accurate cost is to arrange a no-obligation quote through Quote Goat.
What should be included in a policy?
If you are unsure which covers your business may require, we recommend making use of the expertise of one or more of the insurance providers on the panel. They are best-placed to provide you with expert advice.
How do I make a claim?
Please discuss any claims with the insurance provider that you hold your policy with.