Hire and Reward Insurance

Compare Cheap Hire And Reward Insurance Quotes

Hire and Reward Insurance Comparison

  • check markQuotes from UK insurance providers
  • check markOne short form - save time and money
  • check mark96% of users recommend us - rated 4.8/5

Reviews.io Review Rating

Hire and Reward Insurance In 3 Steps

Complete The Quote Form

Compare quotes in minutes

Compare Prices

Find the best deal from a leading provider

Purchase Cover

Pick a policy and buy your cover

What is hire and reward insurance?

If you use your car or van for commercial purposes, it is likely you’ll need hire and reward insurance. Hire and reward policies offer a specialist type of cover and are a legal requirement for anyone who uses their vehicle to drive people or goods for work.

It’s important to note that a standard commute to work doesn’t require specialist insurance, as your car insurance policy usually covers that. If you’re moving people or goods for a fee, however, you’ll need to buy hire and reward cover.

Hire and reward insurance is typically broken down into three categories:

  • Courier: cars, vans and hauliers moving and delivering parcels and goods
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: picking up people and their luggage
  • Food delivery: collecting and delivering food, including takeaways and groceries

Get A Quote Today

Whether you’re brand new to using your vehicle for work, or you’re an old hand, it’s easy to compare quotes. There are just three simple steps with Quote Goat:


Enter your details

Complete our short quote form with just a few details


Compare quotes and prices

Compare prices from hire and reward insurance providers


Choose your policy

Complete our short quote form with just a few details

What does a hire and reward policy cover

Hire and reward insurance is essentially specialist car or van insurance. So you’ll be able to choose from the same three levels of cover for a car insurance policy:

  • Third party only – minimum cover for any injury or damage caused to other people or their property. 
  • Third party, fire and theft – third party costs, plus repairs or replacement for your vehicle due to fire, theft or attempted theft.
  • Comprehensive – third party, fire and theft costs, plus repairs or replacement for your vehicle, even if you caused the incident.

It might sting having to buy a more specialist type of insurance to cover your work, but hire and reward insurance is designed to cover the additional risks of driving for work. These can include spending more hours on the road, especially during rush hour and night time. They also take things such as driving on unfamiliar roads and rushing to meet delivery deadlines into account. Finally, there’s also the likelihood of more wear and tear on your vehicle as your annual mileage increases.

Which vehicles can be covered by hire and reward insurance?

In terms of the vehicles covered by hire and reward cover, it’s pretty flexible:

  • Cars
  • Vans
  • HGVs
  • Taxis & minicabs
  • Motorbike or moped
  • E-Scooters

If you’re delivering food or parcels by bicycle, it’s not a legal requirement for you to have any insurance. However, as you’ll be spending more time on the roads, especially during busy periods and night-time, having third party or bicycle insurance can be a good idea.

What does hire and reward insurance not cover?

Frustratingly, hire and reward insurance typically doesn’t cover the goods you’re carrying in your vehicle. For example, if someone breaks into your van and steals the goods you have to deliver, your insurance will cover repair costs or replacement van costs, but not the cost to replace the stolen goods. You can, however, purchase Goods In Transit cover as an additional policy.

Who needs hire and reward insurance?

Hire and reward insurance is a legal requirement for anyone using their vehicle to carry goods or people for a fee. Drivers who need hire and reward insurance include:

  • Taxi drivers
  • Private hire drivers
  • Food delivery drivers
  • Couriers and parcel delivery drivers (often called courier insurance).
  • Hauliers or removals people
  • Chauffeurs
  • Funeral and wedding car drivers

If you have two jobs that require using your vehicle, for example, if you’re a taxi driver who also delivers food, or a chauffeur who drives wedding cars on the weekend, you’ll need to inform your insurance provider. Most hire & reward insurance policies will only cover you for one role, so you’ll need to speak with them to get cover for both.

How much is hire and reward insurance?

The price of your insurance premium will vary depending on your age, your driving experience, where you live and where you park. It’ll also be based on your annual mileage, your vehicle type and even the goods you carry.

Can you buy temporary or pay as you go hire and reward insurance?

Yes, you can. Some insurers offer flexible policies for casual workers. These allow you to log on and off, giving you cover when you need it. You need to be organised and remember to start your cover each time you work.

If you need the cover regularly, these policies aren’t the best value, and it’s more likely you’ll get a better deal by buying a monthly or annual policy. As ever with insurance, your best bet is to compare quotes to find the right cover for you.


Is it a legal requirement to have hire and reward insurance?

Yes, it’s a legal requirement for drivers carrying people or property for a fee to have hire and reward, or courier insurance. You can buy a normal car or van insurance policy, then ‘top up’ with hire and reward cover, or you can buy a fully comprehensive hire and reward insurance policy.

What type of insurance do I need to deliver food?

To deliver food via motorised vehicle in the UK, you must have hire and reward insurance. If you’re delivering food by bicycle, you don’t legally need any form of insurance, but it’s always a good idea!

Will my employer buy my hire and reward insurance for me?

This comes down entirely to each employer and your contract with them. If you’re freelance or a sole trader, it’s likely you’ll need to sort out your own insurance, however, it’s worth asking your employer before you buy a policy.

How much does it cost?

Policy prices are calculated using a multitude of factors including age, location, work-type, vehicle type and more. Therefore, the best way to get an accurate understanding of cost is to submit the quote form and get a no-obligation quote.

How can I make a claim?

Please contact your insurance provider if you need to make a claim or have any questions about your policy.

Can cover be paid for on a monthly basis?

Yes. Although monthly payments end up being more costly compared to annual payments which do not include interest charges.

Is there a minimum age?

Whilst many insurance providers have age limits of 21 or even 25, there are others that can provide cover for people under 21.

Author Image - Michael Foote

Written By Michael Foote, Insurance and Finance Expert

Michael Foote is the founder of Quote Goat and has over 13 years experience working in the finance, insurance and currency sectors. Since launching Quote Goat he has appeared on TV as well as many of the largest online publications including Forbes, The Telegraph and The Metro. Prior to Quote Goat, he worked in finance in the city for a number of firms including HSBC.