Car Insurance Without A Black Box
Are you a young driver looking for a good deal on your insurance without having a black box? Who can blame you, the idea of an insurance company being able to track your every move isn’t exactly appealing. The good news is that there are still currently plenty of insurance providers who offer cover, even to young drivers, without a black box.
However, you should be aware that prices can be significantly higher with no black box installed and, looking to the future, we see the cost of no black box insurance policies increasing as telematics technology becomes more popular.
Quote Goat works with a panel of over 100 insurance providers and our results can be filtered to show insurance quotes without black boxes. This way you can easily compare prices for policies that are suitable to you and circumstances.
Important: To see insurance policies that do not include a black box, we provide a filter on the results page. The filter option is on the right of the screen for desktop users and at the bottom of the page for mobile users.
Who might benefit from insurance without a black box?
If you drive more miles
Black box insurance often comes with mileage restrictions, so if you drive a lot of miles, perhaps for your job, a more traditional policy with no black box might suit you better.
Regular late-night drivers
Some policies also restrict night-time driving, as this is considered riskier than driving during the day. Shift workers or night owls who aren’t prepared to let their insurance affect their social life might be happier without a black box!
Less than perfect drivers….
Black box policies are all about rewarding careful driving, so young drivers honest enough to admit to some bad habits might find they don’t save quite as much with this type of insurance as they’d like. If this has been your experience you may want to get a quote for insurance without a black box. Research has shown that drivers who do not have a black box drive less carefully and therefore they are more likely to crash. On average, 1 in 5 young drivers will have an accident, whereas there are reports of that dropping down to 1 in 15 drivers who use a black box. Our advice would be to drive more carefully and benefit from the potential savings of £1000’s.
Other ways to get cheap insurance with no black box:
- What car do you drive?: If you don’t already have a car then check out this list of cars that are cheap to insure. If you get a car with a low insurance category you will find that you get cheaper quotes even without telematics. There are a number of reasons for this in the eyes of an insurance company, so if you are in the market for buying a car (new or second hand) check out the list and get a quote.
- Get additional qualifications: If you are a young driver then why not have a think about taking an advanced driving course. These courses are pretty quick and help to demonstrate your driving skills.
- Use our comparison tool: Quote Goat specialises in no black box insurance comparison by comparing quotes from up to 110 car insurance providers. Comparing the whole market means that you are more likely to find a cheaper deal.
- Accurate details in the quote: It may seem obvious but have a think about your annual mileage, where you’ll keep your car and what you’ll use your car for. If you are only going to use your car for 5000 miles a year then make sure you tell the insurer that, rather than just guessing at 10,000.
- Alarm fitted and no modifications: If you are looking for a car, then don’t go for one with modifications on it – see lowered suspension and spoiler and think “no”! These modifications, usually done by someone without experience, will add to the cost of your insurance premium. Remember you are trying to keep the cost of your quotes down without having a black box fitted, so make your life easier by picking a car that’s safe and if possible with an alarm and immobiliser fitted.
Hopefully these tips will help you save money on your car insurance, as we know how expensive young driver car insurance can be, particularly without black box technology, so follow our advice and see how much you can save!